While everyone wishes they had the time, energy, and motivation to exercise, we all know that’s not always the case. Often times, life gets in the way, and one missed workout turns into weeks, months, and even years of inactivity.
If you don’t have the time for a dedicated workout, you should at least focus on filling your day with active breaks. Research released by the CDC revealed a strong correlation between sedentary behavior and risk for cardiovascular disease, obesity, type II diabetes, and death by cardiovascular disease. Even if you exercise on a regular basis, it may not be enough to counteract the negative effects of being sedentary for the rest of the day.
Don’t know where to start? We have created the Office Workout Game to encourage, educate, and empower you to get moving! Here are some helpful tips:
- No Time? No Problem! Play this game throughout the day to accumulate volume, break up the monotony, and undo the negative effects of sitting.
- Grab a Friend. Support and competition are powerful incentives. Pick a co-worker that you can compete with to earn the most points. Or, form teams with your whole office. The point is that exercise should be fun!
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind. Print out the Office Workout Game Sheet and tape it somewhere you will see it. By your desk, office door, or even a bathroom mirror can keep you on top of things.
- Create Incentives. What happens when someone wins the most points? Set a challenge date, and get others to join in to the competition. Whether there is a cash prize, or someone gets to wear a crown around the office for a day, incentives can be a powerful motivator.
- Make Your Own Rules. You might not specifically work with a computer, or some tasks don’t apply to your situation. No problem! We encourage you to get creative and add in your own active challenges. Alter the rules to suit your work, home, or educational environment. Good luck!